Friday, January 12, 2007

ESX 3.0 can use datastores on NFS and Windows R2 is NFS-capable out of the box ...

Hi,

Yesterday I had the idea to make an NFS-share on my Virtual Center server. I would like to use it as a repository for ISOs and VM-Templates to make it easier for Windows Admins to upload ISOs to a Virtual Infrastructure. If this works they only need to copy their ISOs to the right location on the Virtual Center server and all ESX's have automatically access to the ISOs, floppies, ... No hassle with sftp, accounts on the ESX, ...

As my VC is a Windows 2003 R2 I could just install NFS by using "Add/Remove Windows Components". It's a build-in feature now.

First try :
I installed the NFS components, shared a folder, with NFS's standard settings, and made the NFS-links in Virtual Center on every ESX-box.
Everything looks good but the connection wasn't really stable. Copying large files always failed.

Second try :
I found some info on the web to adjust a few settings on the windows side :
  • Anonymous UID: 2 (instead of the std -2)
  • Anonymous GID: 0 (instead of the std -2)

Next step for me will be to secure this, although everything is in a private VLAN, I would like to have some access control ...

No comments: